The aim of the guide and the supporting tools is to provide clinical audit methodology that services can use to review and improve their staff's skills in subacute care. It provides a detailed framework for services to:
- assess how well they are achieving “best practice” standards
- identify the areas that can be improved
- implement positive change.
Through this methodology, a service is able to collect information and evidence at a patient, ward and facility level with adequate detail to demonstrate:
- that actions have been taken
- actual performance results, rather than relying on self-assessment alone
- areas that need improving by clearly identifying gaps between ideal and actual performance
- changes in performance over time through tracking and monitoring performance.